Monday, February 14, 2011

Chocolates and Sweets.....OR Not.

On a holiday immersed in chocolate and sweets, I find myself getting teary-eyed in the candy isle. My challenge, find something with no milk or peanut content.  I could go with the dark chocolate but it's just not what I want! I want the lucious Milk Chocolate covered Peanuts and Truffles! My sweet tooth is disappointed.   Dinner is usually customary with this holiday as well. Forget about going out for dinner! Where would I eat?!?!?

This is forcing me to get a little creative.

Today was my first day at work with my new "diet". It took me a little longer than normal to make lunch today so breakfast was 2 cups of coffee. One of the girls at work brought in candy conversation hearts as a special treat, and it turns out, I can eat those pure sugar lumps of sweet-talk. By lunch I was headed for a small sugar crash :).

Lunch went well.
I had my corn noodles with a nice serving size of chicken in a tomato based sauce.
I also brought a grapefruit and a salad that had onions, avacado, cucumber, and mushrooms.
I made a dressing with squeezed lemon juice, light evoo, and a little lemon pepper spice blend that I found at Homegoods.
Not too bad! I was so very full that I couldn't finish my salad. I'm sure it was because I just bring way too much food. 

Work seemed a little different than normal. I felt really good all day. I'm not sure if I can completely give credit to the new lifestyle but it sure does seem to make a difference.  I woke up feeling a strange sensation in my nose.  I think it's because air is flowing to an area in my nose that has never been opened up before. My sinuses are clearing. I also dont feel fatigue (and i usually do after a full busy day). I'm liking this.  I'll be interesed to see how this evolves.

Dinner tonight! I wanted Thai but am currently a little scared to try to break the language barrier and discuss allergies with the staff. I dont mean that to sounds crule in any way. It just seems like a big hassel on a very busy dining night. No thanks. Thai is known for using rice noodles, but also known for using deadly amounts of peanut oil. I have to be careful. I read my labels carefully and founds this:

It does contain fish and soy. Tonight it works for me! It's just noodles in a sause that you add your own items to. This is nice and all but I still want chocolate! Allergy friendly chocolate is few and far between. This is where I decided to make a little magic.

I found in the baking isle. A replacement chocolate made for.. well baking. The ingredients are cane juice, chocolate liquor, and milk free coco-butter. I melted this and dipped slices of apple in it. Just enough to kill the craving. Im glad this worked. I wasnt pleased watching my previous roommate eat a whole candy bar in front of me!  I'm still in chocolate recovery, and it wasn't nice of him.

He made everything ok by purchasing me flowers.
If i can survive a holiday based around one of my greatest vices, I'll be able to do this!  I'm gaining ground. Happy Valentines Day to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment