Saturday, February 12, 2011

"For every ill, there's a pill"

Picture from: bayazidt.wordpress.com
A popular concept in today's medical industry is that all can be cured or treated by a magical pill.

Reoccurring infections?? Anti-biotics.
High cholesterol? Lipitor,   and so on.

So what happens when your body has finally gotten used to these drugs and your still have this sickness. The pills are just treating the symptoms and not the main cause.

An autoimmune sickness is what let my doctor to start looking at my food allergies. Your body literally attacks itself, and unfortunately it's quite common.

Today I focused on my "options".  I think I'm going to be rotating my diet so that my body doesn't start attacking other foods that I eat. I am also starting on a Vitamin C regimen.

"Vitamin C is a general anti-allergy supplement. We experience allergic symptoms when an allergen-antibody complex causes mast cells to release histamine and other allergy-mediating chemicals. Vitamin C helps stabilize mast cells so they are less likely to release these substances." http://www.food-allergy.org/

I reccomend the Adrenal C offered by Eastern States Compounding Pharmacy located in Littleton NH. Visit them at www.easternstatescompounding.com.

I've read over my paperwork that the doctor gave me.  More bad news. Potato starch is a no-no. My beloved pretzels are now officially off limits.  Boooo.  

I needed food. So Breakfast. My coffee with my french vanilla almond creamer.

Breakfast was a 50/50 mix of the crunchy rice and flax cereal with a half cup of vanilla flavored almond milk, and a banana to cover up any unpleasant flavor.  The nutritional benefits are surprisingly amazing. Total outcome= 10% of my daily calories. 7% of my daily fat. No cholesterol and no saturated fat. 8% of my daily sodium. 26% of my daily fiber. 7 and 1/2 grams of protein!  Plus its loaded with tons of vitamins and minerals.

This inspired me to do a little online menu browsing. I had to go to the health food store to find what we had avaiable.  I went to the Healthy Rhino in Littleton, NH.  They have bulk grains and strange things.  I asked a few questions and found a few tasty things.

Sunbutter!!!  Like Peanut butter but made of sunflowers.  Yummy. It's still a nut so it has all the fats and oils but its natural so its good for you!

The other thing is quinoa grain. It isn't related to my allergies at all. It's also easy to cook and has a light flavor that you can mix with almost anything. It's good warm or cold. either in soup, salad, as a side dish with veggies. Not quite crunchy. Oh and it's packed with protein. It's worth trying. 

Unfortunately it doesn't look that appetizing all the time.
I know what it looks like.  It really wasn't that bad though. I mixed it with squash, onions, and mushrooms.

I plan on putting the grain in my salad tomorrow. I'm excited.

The other thing I picked up was Apple butter. I was thinking it would be a spin-off of peanut butter (like sunbutter). However it was just condensed apples... it is like applesause only a little thicker. Just purchase applesause. Sad waste of $3.

Dinner tonight will be a classic steak with a salad side. That requires less effort at this point.  I'm already missing dessert. Tomorrow will focus on finding some sort of sweet or frozen treat.

No comments:

Post a Comment