Sunday, March 6, 2011

The Common Man Experience

Visit @ http://www.thecman.com/
Dinning out. When you're allergy ridden, this only speaks of disaster. I've been to the Common Man before when I first learned of my gluten allergy and I remember they had some special items on the menu just for my situation. Uncommon however is the other allergy avoidance's.

My special menu had 2 proteins, 2 starches, 8 sauces, and 2 desserts.
The proteins were finely listed although I would have to ask for them without nuts or cheese. The 2 starches were both potato which I cannot have. Who on earth needs 8 sauces that  you cant really put on anything (some had milk in them anyway)?!?! Also.. the 2 desserts were milk products.  FML. 

Now I understand that I'm the one with complications so I try not to get upset especially at the waitstaff because they do try quite hard. I also, having done some waitressing in my time know; allergies are difficult, vacationers can make or break your day, and often it feels thankless when you try so hard. Our particular situation that night with our waitress HAS to be addressed.

.....Here is a list of events......

We arrived early and were seated at 4:30pm. I requested the Gluten Free menu. My menu sucked.

Our waitress came over and asked how the skiing was. We did not ski.

Waitress said she wished it would snow. We said we'd had enough snow. She agreed, no more snow.

We ordered. I ordered the GLUTEN FREE chicken with no cheese or nuts. She made special note of my request for no butter.

With this gluten free order she offered me sides of potato (cant have) veggies (no butter) or rice pilaf (which contains GLUTEN) she obviously doesn't know what gluten is and this distresses me.

I request salad instead. She says this cant be substituted. What a load of Bull.  I'll pay more for the salad. She says spinach is suitable for my allergy situation- whatever spinach with a salad thanks.

Waitress brought out bread that she said she cut special with different knifes so that the nuts in one bread didn't contaminate the plain bread. Bread contains GLUTEN, EGGS, YEAST, MILK. She just doesn't get it.

Salad was fine.

Dinner came out. Waitress said no cornbread for me because of the milk/butter in it. No shit, that's the gluten free part of my gluten free chicken.

My chicken was just that.... chicken.  Just chicken. Spinach on the side was soaked in oil. Oh yum :( . She brought out the sauce on the side that was just apples and applesause. Eh not worth it.

Maybe try dessert? Our friend Ryan suggested the baked apple they had.  I'd ask for it without the icecream. Apple rolled in cinnamon and sugar- baked. How bad could that be?
I ordered it first because it cooks for a long time.

After she started it cooking she came back to get everyone elses dessert order. THEN she informed me that it had butter sauce all over it, not concerning to her was the part that she mentioned later that it was rolled in flour too!!!! I ordered "Gluten free" all night how could she not mention this to me. BAH. If someone request no gluten you should educate yourself on what this is. I was FRUSTRATED. Well dessert was ruined.
Poor quality photo of Ryans food

On the other hand Ryan enjoyed his.  Sugared flour deep fried smothered with icecream, chocolate sauce, and butter sauce.  Ohhhhhh there is just not substituting this. Dessert is less fun than ever.

Dinner out is also less fun.  Some places are trying to make menus more "friendly" but being able to feel satisfied after a meal is something that I really miss with food outside of my own house. Bugger. Now that I've had dinner, its time to make myself dessert.

No comments:

Post a Comment